- If you have a vaginal birth, ask for a sitz bath if you are not offered one – it speeds the healing process more than anything else. (You will want to take this home with you).
- Ask for a set of pump parts – they will give you a bag of Medela pump accessories that you can take home with you – don’t forget them because you will want the extra set at home, and this way you don’t have to pay for them.
- Have the lactation consultant check you for the proper breast shield size, most women are not the size that comes with the pump and if it is too small it can reduce your milk supply rather than help to increase it.
- Ask for 2 extra squirt bottles – this is a bottle they will give you to use in the bathroom but they are the best when giving the baby a bath. My brother gave me this tip and we use them everyday.
- If you want extra pillows ask for them when you get to your room, in some hospitals pillows can be hard to come by.
- Take everything home – your room will be stocked with diapers and ointment and lots of other items they will throw out if you don’t take them – they are yours and its worth it.
- Ask for a thermometer – the hospital-grade thermometers are better and you can’t get them at the store.
- Drink water. Lots of it. All the time.